Sunday 14 July 2013

Rivalries - part two

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Last week, I wrote about rivalries and how there are some big sporting events where the rivals of their respective sports will go head-to-head in the near future. Well, as I write this, it is Sunday night and my emotions have been through the highs and lows that rival sports can offer. I've watched my favourite AFL team, the Fremantle Dockers, win against their rival, West Coast Eagles and stay in contention for a top four finish to what has been a very good season. It was a really good game by both sides to be fair and even though I thought the umpiring on the day was terrible, it had no effect on the result of the game. There was one huge decision though that resulted in Dockers captain Matthew Pavlich being reported. It was a very soft, accidental bump at most and the only reason he was reported was because it was head-high contact. The other player involved got straight back up, so I think it should have been a free kick at most, not a report. If he gets suspended for it, it will be a seriously shocking decision. As for Andrew Embley's hit on Clancee Pearce, Pearce was unconscious and didn't come back on the ground. Therefore I think Embley is in a bit of trouble. Also, Embley has a bad record in regard to being suspended in the past. However, there have been some really strange decisions in the past, so I really don't know what will happen.

Just as I was fist-pumping and enjoying the spoils of the victory, my emotions would be severely tested as I turned it over to watch the final day's play in the first Ashes test between Australia and England. At lunch, it came down to this: Australia needing 20 runs to win and England one wicket. There was the faintest noise, given not out by the field umpire and eventually, the England captain reviewed the decision and the video umpire gave it out after he asked for audio assistance. Now here is where it gets really interesting. Immediately following the decision, being a passionate Australian male, my blood was at boiling point. Not only had we officially lost the first test so closely after coming back from the death in nearly an impossible situation, but it was in the enemy's backyard and in very controversial circumstances. I was really unhappy considering all of that because of the closeness of the game, the fact it was the enemy in their own backyard and on a technicality, I don't think it should have been given out. The third umpire took an eternity to make his decision because he went back and asked to use the audio to make his decision. Initially, I thought it wasn't fair that he did that because he should have just gone off the evidence presented to him. However, I think that's actually fair enough because it was fairly out and I think if we have the technology available to help us make the correct decisions, especially in big games like this, then we should be able to make the most of it and use it to our benefit. Now, don't get me wrong here. I am not saying well done to England at all because they really are the enemy and I hope we absolutely kick their asses in the next four games. But what I am saying is I think the fair decision was made in the end. Hopefully it just fires up the Australian team for the next four games.

As for the third part of the rivalries in sport, Queensland head into enemy territory to play NSW in origin three on Wednesday night. The leader of the NSW thugs, Paul Gallen, is out and so hopefully that gives Queensland an edge there. The crowd will have to be shut out as being in Sydney, it will be dominated by NSW fans. I think the experience in big games, knowing it's a game three and that they're going for eight series wins in a row, I think Queensland can get the job done. All I do know is that my phone will be on silent on Wednesday from 5:30-8:00, so don't bother contacting me, unless it's about the game, because like today, I won't reply to any messages or take any calls. By the way, that's not even a joke.

Well, that's enough rambling for me for one week but before I go, I need to make it public information that I didn't skip church simply for the western derby, though I have definitely been known to do things like that in the past. I didn't make church because I am legit so tired still and the trains aren't running properly for a few days while a stupid tunnel gets connected. All things considered, I felt it best to just have a chill day at home. Anyway, that's me done for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment