Sunday 7 July 2013

Rivalries

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Today as the week comes to an end, I find myself sitting in my room, only a few metres away from our fireplace, listening to Foo Fighters at full volume because nobody else is home. The Dockers have just registered yet another victory at home against a low-ranked opponent and all this leaves me thinking that rivalry is a great thing, especially for someone like me. I find people like that really inspire me, especially during weeks like this.

On Thursday, I had an unfortunate incident on public transport that left me with a wrist injury which is why I wasn't at youth or church at all this week and haven't left the house since Thursday. I've been emotionally up and down and as I said to my best friend a couple of days ago, I'm a bit over it honestly because it's felt like it's been one thing after another for about a year for me now and I just want a break, seriously. However, I then see a story like Dockers captain Matthew Pavlich who had serious ankle surgery and two months on the sidelines. He is well-known all over Australia for his ability on the field and has gone through his career relatively healthy and this is by far the longest he's had off-field with an injury, so he's been very blessed in that way. He said in an interview this week that his wife has been great because even he has struggled at times with  his emotions during his rehabilitation process and not doing what he loves every week, which is playing footy and leading the Fremantle Dockers into battle. Today he came back and kicked two huge goals from outside 50 within a minute. You could tell by the look in his face that he was back emotionally. Sure, he didn't dominate and he only kicked the two goals, but you could tell he was positive and up for the challenge and sometimes, that's all it takes.

This week the Australian Wallabies got smashed against the British and Irish Lions in rugby and they won't be happy one bit. Losing to the poms absolutely hurts, nearly as much as losing to the yanks and kiwis hurts us. Hopefully our national cricket team can learn from our rugby team as the Ashes series starts this Wednesday. Also, while on footy, the Dockers play their ultimate rival, the West Coast Eagles in the Western Derby. That means there will be a lot of jokes, sledging and fun for all my Eagles fan friends. Simon, I'm looking right at you my friend. While the crowd will be pro-Eagles as it's their home game, I'm sure it won't bother the Dockers one bit and I think they will feed off it to be honest.

As for me, I love having a rival and I've had them in my life all the time. Whether it's beating someone wearing a Pies jersey in the 2012 Run For a Reason or brushing off ten people offering to help me up "Heartbreak Hill" in the 2012 City To Surf, I love a good challenge as it stirs the fire in my gut to keep going when the times get tough. As I write this, I am preparing as best I can, despite a minor wrist injury, for a half-marathon in this year's city to surf on August 25. What's stirring me on? I just don't know how to quit and it's a challenge that I've never accomplished before and something I'd like to tick off my bucket list. My rival in this situation is not one competitor exactly as I've no idea exactly who is running. Instead, my rival in this case would be anyone who has ever said anything negative over my life and that I can't do anything. It's all the bullies I faced in school, the doctors who predicted I'd be dead years ago and anyone who ever made my sisters and closest friends cry. It's a big "screw you" to all those people!

Ultimately, I'd love to be able to compete in the London marathon someday. For now, I'll be happy just to finish the half-marathon, especially considering doctors were saying I won't even make the start line. Also, while I'm not arrogant enough to be making any bold predictions as for a finishing time as it's a distance I've never attempted before, let alone in race conditions, I will promise that I will give 100%, I will finish and I will overtake anyone wearing Collingwood Magpies gear.

"Stand up for the dark horses." - Switchfoot


No comments:

Post a Comment