Thursday 18 April 2013

19-04-13

Friday, April 19, 2013

Chocolate is amazing, but we all knew that. Unless you can't eat chocolate for whatever reason, then I just feel sorry for you and will start praying for you.

You see, in November 2010, my closest friend Zoe passed away from the effects of cystic fibrosis. A few weeks later, I was clearly still struggling with my emotions and I will never forget what happened next. It was a Sunday morning and I was early to church as I was on ushering. I saw Robyn as she was on the information counter that morning and she simply stopped me, looked me in the eye and asked me what was wrong. I just told her I was missing Zoe, but would be okay. She then asked me if I want her opinion on how to deal with it and my immediate thought was that she'd give me something really deep and profound. Well, it was really profound but not all that deep. I simply needed a dose of chocolate every day. Chocolate contains a natural chemical in it that helps you stay happy and up until that time, I never knew it. I now make it a priority (and a really good excuse) to have at least one piece of chocolate every day.

Today is another one of those days where I'm just missing Zoe more than I usually do. I thought these days were behind me, especially considering she passed away over two years ago now, but I guess when someone is that close to you, you never really get over it as such. You just learn to deal with life and keep going.

She was the one person who absolutely knew what it was like to struggle medically and that formed a good basis for a very close friendship. We got so close that within the space of two text messages she could tell me what was wrong with me. It would freak me out sometimes, but I got to know that's just her.

At Easter of 2009, she gave me a yellow rabbit and so now because she's not here in the flesh, I don't let that out of my sight, especially when I'm not well or in hospital because I know Zoe would be the first one there for me. It's great because it gives me something to hug when I miss her.

On days like this, I'm thankful God gave me someone like Zoe for nearly two years of my life. I can draw upon our friendship for inspiration to keep going because I know she's definitely up in heaven with Jesus, cheering me on right now, except during western derbies.

It's definitely important for everyone to have that one person in your life who just gets it. It's really easy with that person because you don't have to explain much to them at all. You can be yourself around them and don't need to be afraid to hide your emotions.

" ... being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ; just as it is right for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart, inasmuch as both in my chains and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you are all partakers with me of grace." - Philippians 1:6-7 (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment