Friday 14 June 2013

14-06-13

Friday, June 14, 2013

Today would have been the 25th birthday of the most inspiring person to have ever entered my life and yes, that is a big call and I make it without exception and I don't think anyone who has known Zoe will disagree with that kind of statement. We only spent just under two years in friendship, but we got to know each other very quickly and became the best of friends. We were so close that we could look at each other from across the room and know what the other was thinking. I could go three days without talking to her and she would know what was going on with me, without checking social media. She absolutely knew what it was to struggle medically because of her own battle with cystic fibrosis and this is why I do what I can to help with Cystic Fibrosis WA. I made a promise to her only a few weeks before she passed away that I would do everything within my power to punch that disease right in it's ugly face. The most disappointing part about today is simply that it is her birthday and I am stuck in that one place we both know and hate so well: hospital. Considering it is her birthday, it means I've listened to TFK, Glee and Stan Walker, drank Coke and noticed ALL the purple around the place. One thing I always found funny with Zoe though is that considering she loved purple, she hated the Dockers with a passion and their main colour is purple. She told me her theory with that is because she was born in 1988 and the Dockers came out seven years later, in 1995 and so they theoretically stole her favourite colour. Well, that was her theory and she stuck to it.

I woke up feeling okay about it all, but then I checked my phone and noticed a message from Shona asking me how I am and then I was awake enough to remember what today was. The morning was tough because as I said above, it felt like there was purple everywhere. Also, people were really slow today for some reason and it didn't help the situation that I was completely missed at morning tea. However, as I made mention yesterday, I do understand how these things can happen sometimes and so it wasn't too big an issue. Lunch was the usual fish on Friday and I don't mean to sound like I'm discriminating, but I do think someone is Catholic or maybe there is just enough of a Catholic following in Perth because it is a Catholic thing to have fish on Fridays.

After lunch, I had some vanilla Coke even though I don't like it because that was Zoe's favourite drink and she would want us to have some on her birthday. Then I made my way to physio because Peter told me he wanted everyone in and out because they wanted to go home, which I think is a reasonable request on a Friday. I went in there and was rather happy to have Bruce with me today who is that nice guy who is really positive and encouraging that I was talking about a few days ago. Again he was happy with my effort today and today I actually went up from 10 kgs on the machine to 15 kgs with my upper-body weights, so I must be doing something right. Although, I'm a tad confused because I then went to weigh myself on the scales and somehow in the space of four days I have lost 400 grams. Well, that's just a good excuse to keep eating more. I am feeling a little sore after that though and so I am happy that it's now the weekend and I can relax knowing Peter won't be nagging me for the next two days.

The evening was spent as most Friday nights have been lately, with Friday night football. I figured it would be a smashing because Hawthorn have looked scary good this season, beating all of the finals teams from last season, except Geelong. However, Carlton had other ideas and came out and played well. At half time, it looked like they were actually going to cause an upset and win. Hawthorn then adjusted a couple of things, lifted their instensity, Carlton dropped off and then Hawthorn ended up winning what was a close game in the end, which meant it was an entertaining evening and I got a tip right to start the weekend. Also, being Friday, I noticed we had CNN tonight and I do miss it so much. I really hope all my guys in the 11s and 12s are doing well at the moment. Well, I will just keep on doing all that I can to get back and I'm sure I will see them soon.

Before I finish for today, I need to publicly thank Shona, Brian, Kathy and Sarah. Those four people have kept me smiling today, on what is one of the hardest days for me on the calendar. Each of these are significant people in my life for way too many reasons than I can be bothered listing here because you'll simply get bored. Therefore I'm just going to say thanks to each of them for being some of the most selfless, caring people I know and for being there for me when it matters. I've got bulk love for all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment