Saturday 4 May 2013

04-05-13

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Today was a pretty good day. It started with me sleeping in until around 9:30. However, it wasn't all fine with me trying to shake off this runny nose/head cold I've had for the past couple of days. It seems to be getting better but it's hard to tell because it seems to be worse in the mornings and then, it will clear for the afternoon and just when I feel like it's gone, it hits again in the evenings.

Anyway, it was good because within minutes of waking, my nurse went beyond the call of duty of care and he made me a fresh coffee. Also, because we are both Dockers supporters, that made for a good topic of conversation when he told me he was actually tipping the Dockers to lose. I questioned his faithfulness to his team and told him to harden up. I then got my normal morning tea coffee and another nurse just decided to make me a coffee as well, so I had three coffees within the hour. I would normally be flying on all cylinders with such an amount of coffee in such a short time, but because I'm shaking a cold, it was enough for me to just be alert and focused.

Not long after lunch, my friends Harry and Brian both came in at roughly the same time. It was good because I haven't seen either of them for a while and they're both friends I've had for years. After Harry left, Brian and I watched some of the Essendon v GWS game and were in genuine shock as the Giants were actually leading and playing well. It just goes to show in sport that no matter who takes the field, if you do your best, you just never know what could happen. They didn't win the game, but they certainly put in more of an effort and made it a lot closer than anyone would have expected.

After that, it was time for the Dockers game. I was pretty happy with the way it went because a few of their best players are out at the moment but it was still a good solid game from them, especially away from home. However, to be fair, Gold Coast are in only their third season of AFL football and I think with a bit more experience, they will run out games better. What really got to me though, and does nearly every time I watch a Dockers game, was the biased commentating! Every single time, it would never be about how the Dockers did something well, but about what Gold Coast could do better. Even at the end of the game, it was about how the Suns could improve from now, instead of how the Dockers played a good game and got the job done without some of their best players. It's frustrating, especially when I hear commentating from this negative angle almost every week.

Well, I'm off to rest (and try and ignore the fact it's "Star Wars Day") because as I said, this cold seems to flare up in the evenings and so I'm not feeling too great.


No comments:

Post a Comment